0
0 Item(s) Selected

No products in the cart.

Select Page

The first vernacular edition of ‘De Architectura’ by Vitruvius

£47,500

In stock

A large and complete example of the Como Vitruvius from the library of Baroque architect Domenico Martinelli, the first edition of Vitruvius in the vernacular.
'De architectura' is the only text of Greco-Roman architecture that has survived from antiquity. Composed by Marcus Vitruvius Pollio (c.90 - c.20 B.C.), a military engineer specialising in siege engines, it was rediscovered in a Swiss abbey library in 1414 and first printed in 1486. This edition, translated by Cesare di Lorenzo Cesariano (1475-1543) and with a commentary by him, was the first in a living language.
The ownership inscription at the rear is that of Tiberio Carretto, dated 1596. On the title is 'Di Domenico Martinelli di Lucca', the famed architect Domenico Martinelli (1650-1718), whose patrons included the Prince of Lichtenstein, William of Orange (William III of England), Count Kaunitz, Jan Sobieski of Poland and the Elector of Brandenburg.

Additional information

Cartographer

Date

1521

Extra Info
Publication
Condition

Some minor staining and occasional worming, repairs to the gutters of the last few leaves; ownership inscriptions on title and rear pastedown.

References

Printing and the Mind of Man: 'It has splendid new illustrations, some of which are now attributed to Leonardo da Vinci, and is the most beautiful of all the early editions'.