0
0 Item(s) Selected

No products in the cart.

Select Page

A plan to widen the Strand at the Savoy

Stock No. 21684 Category: Tag: Cartographer: ARROWSMITH, Aaron.

Plan Proposed fir Widening The Strand in the Vicinity of Exeter 'Change. Fifth Report of the Commissioners of His Majesty's Woods, Forests, and Land Revenue 1826.
London: Luke Hansard for the House of Commons, 1826. Coloured. 395 x 450mm.

£320

In stock

A plan to remove a bottleneck in the Strand by removing buildings on the north side between Southampton Street and Wellington Street. This included part of the Exeter Exchange, a collection of small shops, but with a famous menagerie in the upper floors, on the site of today's Strand Palace Hotel. The year of publication attempts to kill the menagerie's elephant Chunee, which had been driven mad by toothache, led to protests. The Exchange was demolished in 1829.
This proposal was to improve access to John Nash's redevelopment of Charing Cross, which eventually became Trafalgar Square. Another point of interest is the glass-roofed bazaar running from the Strand to Exeter Street.

Additional information

Dimensions 450 × 395 mm
Cartographer

Date

1826

Extra Info

Plan Proposed fir Widening The Strand in the Vicinity of Exeter 'Change. Fifth Report of the Commissioners of His Majesty's Woods, Forests, and Land Revenue 1826.

Publication

London: Luke Hansard for the House of Commons, 1826. Coloured. 395 x 450mm.

Condition

A good example.

References