0
0 Item(s) Selected

No products in the cart.

Select Page

A rare map of Mile End

Stock No. 21198 Category: Tags: , Cartographer: GASCOYNE, Joel.

A Map of the Hamlet of Mile=End Old Town in the Parish of Stepney alias Stubunheath Surveyed An.? Dom. 1703. John Mumford Churchward.n. Joel Gascoyne Surveyor. John Harris Engraver.
London, 1703. 500 x 600mm.

£3,500

In stock

The first detailed map of Mile End, one of three maps of hamlets in Stepney compiled by Gascoyne while he was surveying his map of the whole Parish and engraved by John Harris. It was commissioned by the Vestry, the local administration, so the owners of the fields and their acreage is marked for tax purposes. It is decorated with a title cartouche with a pastural vignette and a compass rose with a sprig of hops in the middle, both highlighting how rural the area was at the time.
Also marked is 'The Dunghill' by the side of the Whitechapel Road; also known as the Whitechapel Mount, it was a large artificial hill big enough for trees to grow on the summit. Theories for its creation include it being: a laystall; a Civil War Fortification, a Great Plague burial site; and a dump for rubble from the Great Fire.
Joel Gascoyne (c.1650-.c.1704) was apprenticed to chart-maker John Thornton for seven years, learning both surveying and engraving, before setting himself up in business in 1675. Among his work were maps of Carolina (1682), the Manor of Greenwich prior to the founding of Greenwich Hospital in 1695, and Cornwall, on a scale of nearly 1'' to a mile (1699).

Additional information

Dimensions 600 × 500 mm
Cartographer

Date

1703

Extra Info

A Map of the Hamlet of Mile=End Old Town in the Parish of Stepney alias Stubunheath Surveyed An.? Dom. 1703. John Mumford Churchward.n. Joel Gascoyne Surveyor. John Harris Engraver.

Publication

London, 1703. 500 x 600mm.

Condition

A good example.

References