0
0 Item(s) Selected

No products in the cart.

Select Page

Bird’s-eye view of Beaufort House and garden

Stock No. 17181 Category: Tags: , , Cartographer: KNYFF, Leonard.

London, 1707. 355 x 490mm.

£400

In stock

Detailed view of Beaufort House in Chelsea, a gabled house with formal gardens and a stable block. It was built in 1521 and was Sir Thomas More's residence before passing to the Dukes of Beaufort, whose arms feature in the title, who owned it from 1682 to 1738. It was demolished in 1740 and Beaufort Street built on the site in 1766.
Holland House, Camden House and Kensington House are just visible in the distance at the top of the print.
This plate was engraved by John Kip after Leonard Knyff (1650-1722), a Dutch landscape painter and was published in ''Britannia Illustrata: Or Views of Several of the Queens Palaces, as Also of the Principal seats of the Nobility and Gentry of Great Britain, Curiously Engraven on 80 Copper Plates'', published the year that Queen Anne signed the Act of Union that created Great Britain.

Additional information

Dimensions 490 × 355 mm
Cartographer

Date

1707

Extra Info
Publication

London, 1707. 355 x 490mm.

Condition

A good example.

References