Stock Id :23274

Download Image

A pre-Beck map of the London Underground

STINGEMORE, Frederick H.

Underground Railways of London.
London: Commercial Manager's Office, London Underground, 1928. Colour-printed map on paper, 125 x 150mm.

A pre-Beck pocket map of the London Underground, using Stingemore's idea of expanding the central area of the map for ease of reading. On the map the Piccadilly Line only runs between Hammersmith & Finsbury Park and the Northern Line ended at Highgate (although this station is now Archway).

Among the 'lost' stations shown are 'Down Street' & 'Brompton Road' on the Piccadilly Line (both used as government shelters during WWII), 'British Museum' on the Central Line, and 'Praed Street' and 'Bishops Road', both of which have been incorporated into Paddington Station. 'Arsenal' is still called 'Gillespie Road'. The Central Line is coloured orange.
Published five years before Beck this map had already dispensed with surface detail (other than the Thames) and has the white-centred circles for interchanges.
Printed by Waterlow and Sons, the reverse has a map of the central London main line termini, with the tube lines all in black.

GARLAND: issue between illus. 6 & 7.
Stock ID : 23274

SOLD
To see similar items click here

Return To Listing




SOLD
To see similar items click here


Print

INDEX

Stock Id :23274

Download Image

A pre-Beck map of the London Underground

STINGEMORE, Frederick H.

Underground Railways of London.
London: Commercial Manager's Office, London Underground, 1928. Colour-printed map on paper, 125 x 150mm.

A pre-Beck pocket map of the London Underground, using Stingemore's idea of expanding the central area of the map for ease of reading. On the map the Piccadilly Line only runs between Hammersmith & Finsbury Park and the Northern Line ended at Highgate (although this station is now Archway).

Among the 'lost' stations shown are 'Down Street' & 'Brompton Road' on the Piccadilly Line (both used as government shelters during WWII), 'British Museum' on the Central Line, and 'Praed Street' and 'Bishops Road', both of which have been incorporated into Paddington Station. 'Arsenal' is still called 'Gillespie Road'. The Central Line is coloured orange.
Published five years before Beck this map had already dispensed with surface detail (other than the Thames) and has the white-centred circles for interchanges.
Printed by Waterlow and Sons, the reverse has a map of the central London main line termini, with the tube lines all in black.

GARLAND: issue between illus. 6 & 7.
Stock ID : 23274

SOLD
To see similar items click here

Return To Listing




SOLD
To see similar items click here


Print