Stock Id :24119

Download Image

Russia, part of a rare 16th century Italian wall map of Europe

CAMOCIO, Giovanni Francesco.

[Moscovia.]
Venice, c. 1595. Four sheets conjoined, total 680 x 630mm.

Remargined, minor restoration.

An extremely rare map of north east Europe, covering Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, with parts of Lithuania, Moldova and Romania. Top left is Lapland and with the end of the Gulf of Finland, with the site of St Petersburg, a century before its founding; top right should be Novaya Zemlya, but it is missing; bottom right is the course of the Volga, the Sea of Azov and the north coast of the Black Sea, with Tartar tents marked; bottom left is the Crimea, the mouth of the Danube.
This map consists of the four top-right sheets of a twelve-sheet wall map of Europe, of which only a few examples are known. It first appeared in 1573, in Camocio's atlas, the 'Quattro Parte Del Mondo' which consisted of four wall maps of the continents and a small world map.
Camocio was one of the principal mapmakers of the 'Lafreri' school, a group of Italians whose output forged the link between the historical cartography of Ptolemy to the atlas maps of Mercator and Ortelius. As such he is one of the founders of mapmaking as we know it today.

BIFOLCO & RONCA: 221, state iv of iv.
Stock ID : 24119

SOLD
To see similar items click here

Return To Listing




SOLD
To see similar items click here


Print

INDEX

Stock Id :24119

Download Image

Russia, part of a rare 16th century Italian wall map of Europe

CAMOCIO, Giovanni Francesco.

[Moscovia.]
Venice, c. 1595. Four sheets conjoined, total 680 x 630mm.

Remargined, minor restoration.

An extremely rare map of north east Europe, covering Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, with parts of Lithuania, Moldova and Romania. Top left is Lapland and with the end of the Gulf of Finland, with the site of St Petersburg, a century before its founding; top right should be Novaya Zemlya, but it is missing; bottom right is the course of the Volga, the Sea of Azov and the north coast of the Black Sea, with Tartar tents marked; bottom left is the Crimea, the mouth of the Danube.
This map consists of the four top-right sheets of a twelve-sheet wall map of Europe, of which only a few examples are known. It first appeared in 1573, in Camocio's atlas, the 'Quattro Parte Del Mondo' which consisted of four wall maps of the continents and a small world map.
Camocio was one of the principal mapmakers of the 'Lafreri' school, a group of Italians whose output forged the link between the historical cartography of Ptolemy to the atlas maps of Mercator and Ortelius. As such he is one of the founders of mapmaking as we know it today.

BIFOLCO & RONCA: 221, state iv of iv.
Stock ID : 24119

SOLD
To see similar items click here

Return To Listing




SOLD
To see similar items click here


Print